Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sabbatical

I've been told a sabbatical is an opportunity to do something in your vocational field that your normal work life does not allow. 

Sounded good to me. I could figure out something in my "field" that would be refreshing, maybe even life changing. I could sail a small boat in Maine or learn how to fly a sail plane or work in an Irish pub. I didn't choose any of those. 

Instead, I chose to teach conversational English in a Lutheran Academy in Martin, Slovakia. I leave in two weeks. I'll be gone for 3 months and leave behind my wife, three kids, a demanding dog, and my 90 year old father who calls the house 4 times a day. He just wants to talk.

I don't feel selfish. I do feel lucky, and excited and happy. I'm about to see Europe for a third time and live in a place where I have never been before. My wife's strong, my kids are healthy, my dog has a collar and the cops call us when they find him running loose. As for dad, I'll call him.

No comments:

Post a Comment