Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Habibi Cafe - Martin, Slovakia

Next door to where I live and work is a small cafe. The name  is Habibi and means "my dear one."

I've become a regular. I eat my grilled panini sandwich with tomatoes and cucumber salad, and white wine  here three or four nights a week. The staff knows me by name. Marie has introduced me to her two daughters and Sylvia stopped by on her roller blades tonight to join me at dusk and visit as I finished my meal.

I've really like living here. I'll be sad to leave in a week. Life in Slovakia is different than America and the pace, and by that I mean the pedestrian pace, of life slows you down to see your surroundings. A small neighborhood and town square becomes your piece of geography.You learn it well when you review it step by step every day. I've come to recognize the folks who come and go. The children, the teachers,  the students walking hand in hand, even some of the parents. They greet me with the typical Slovak word "ahoy," and I wave and greet them back.


No comments:

Post a Comment