Monday, February 27, 2012

Only A Sandwich

Street vendors are a welcomed sight. Along the cobblestone Old Town Square in Prague, some have fires burning with large hams roasting over the coals.  You smell it before you see it. You want it and you didn't even know you were hungry.

I walked by the vendors. I looked carefully. One after another offering a variety of meats, drinks and desserts all staged in a long line  with high top tables near by to enjoy this food on the go.

The ham smelled so good. The fire was warm to stand near. I turned back. I took my place in line. I ordered the ham on rye sandwich and a Coca-Cola.

I began to eat my hot meal standing by one of the tables. It was a cold night. The square was lit up and the buildings were beautiful. People were gathered enjoying the time and spirit of the place.

I saw an old man walk by the garbage. He looked inside. He reached in and searched for something to eat. He went to the next one just a few yards away.He did the same thing.  He did this at every garbage container set out for the stands of food vendors.

Although  I had already taken a bite of my sandwich I put the plastic fork and knife on the plate, lifted the food and walked after the man. He searched in two more garbage containers before I tapped him on the shoulder.  "Are you hungry?"  He smiled--few teeth--and nodded his head.  "Would you like my sandwich?" I said as I lifted it up for him. He nodded his head and reached for the dish. I shook his hand.  "Good night" I said. He walked away to find a place to eat his meal of ham, rye bread and American soda.

It was the best meal I had in Prague, and it was only a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment