Sunday, February 26, 2012

Time Clock


Prague's Old Town Hall has an extraordinary clock.  During the day, on the hour, the bells ring, the cocks crow and the 15 century statues dance.

It's fun to sit in the cafe across the street and watch the crowds gather. It doesn't matter if it's day or night because the show goes on for everyone and anyone. 12 wooden figures are sculpted and turn out for the crowds. These are the Apostles and there is a brochure that describes who is who but I didn't bother to sort them out. However, I did catch the rather ghoulish characters--four statues that give you a clue to the outlook of the 15 century point of view: A Turk with a mandolin symbolizes hedonism, a Jewish moneylender is greed, and the figure staring into the mirror represents vanity. The last is the best and tells us all these worldly goals are vain in the face of Death, whose hour glass reminds us that our time is unavoidable running out.

Yikes! I've got to keep trekking while I'm in the heart of  Europe cause I have only so many days left. I guess this clock with revolving discs, celestial symbols, sweeping hands, and time that's measured in  Bohemian time( the gold Gothic numbers on the black background),  and the Roman Numerals that count for modern times, keep things in pretty good order.

At the top of the hour things happen quickly. First, Death tips his hourglass and pulls the chord, ringing the bell; then the windows open and the 12 apostles parade and strut, acknowledging the gang of onlookers; then the rooster crows; and then the hour is rung, and then last night, the trumpet player--a human--blows his horn to let us know that all is well.

Thanks to Rick Steves for explaining this to me cause I wasn't game for climbing the stairs up to the top, although I now know there is an elevator!  Next Time, if there is time, I'll make the lift climb!

No comments:

Post a Comment