Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Augustinian Monastery

Books are Beautiful. 
Libraries are wonderful places, and the library in this photograph is at the Augustinian Monastery in Erfurt, Germany, the very same place where Martin Luther knocked on the door and committed his life to Christ and the Church.

In college my friends new two things about me: I slept in the Science Library on the couch in the solar room. They could walk by from above and look inside and see me sleeping after lunch with a book across my chest. They also knew that I studied in the Architecture Library. It was my favorite space of all on campus. Soft woods and brick and sharp angles and nifty shapes allowed one to find a cubby to settle in and work without interruption. 

I won't have the opportunity to sleep in this library.Instead I will enjoy my visit inside and all the sights and smells that it will offer. However, I have shared a photograph of where I will be sleeping, inside the stone walls just a few yards down the hall from Luther's cell (dormitory).. 



No comments:

Post a Comment