Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fatra Gliding


Thanks to my pilot Brano, with 26 years of experience, I was a guest aboard a German built Discus Duo sailplane. In nine minutes we went from land to soaring in the air. We circled to gain altitude up to 2000 meters and kept flying as we crossed the highest point in the Small Fatra mountain range several times. People were standing on the summit peak below us and waving as we passed over them.

The air turbulence and motion caused me to be queasy. Sudden altitude change and banking motions played  havoc with my sense of equilibrium. However, the beauty of this motor less aircraft combined with the geography of he Fatra and Tatra mountain ranges in Slovakia account for more than 26 sailplane and gliding clubs in the country. Apart from a brief episode of air sickness the whole experience was marvelous--greater than I had imagined! I look forward to lessons this summer when I return from sabbatical to Wisconsin.














No comments:

Post a Comment