Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A New Friend in Wittenberg

I had just finished my meal. I ordered another Whit special dark from the Frau at the Wittenberg Hotel and Brauhaus when a gentleman stopped to say hello.  He wanted to greet the American guest and welcome me to the city of his birth.

His name is Karl Seeger. He lives in Leipzig but graduated from school in Wittenberg. He was in town for a reunion. He is 73 years old.

I invited him to take up a seat and ordered another beer for my guest. We visited for nearly 90 minutes. His English was good enough that between a pen and paper we communicated pretty well.

He graduated from college and was an industrial engineer. He's married and raised two children, a son and daughter. He was baptized and confirmed his faith in a Lutheran congregation on Palm Sunday sixty-years ago. He has lived in Leipzig for his entire adult life. He is kind and gracious, and he made my first wonderful day in Wittenberg seem even better. We exchanged addresses and I promised to mail him the picture but I will share it with all of you, first!

No comments:

Post a Comment